Thursday, February 08, 2007

HEAD SLOTS

The last couple of days was spent cutting the slots in the head. I carefully marked the head veneer using the head stock template and drilled the holes with a 5/8" forstner bit on my drill press making sure that the head was supported underneath with some MDF so the bit wouldn't tear as it exited the head.

After that, I outlined the slots with a sharp knife. This procedure would ensure a clean straight mark to aim for when it came to the final shaping. I also drew the outline in
white pencil as a visual guide for cutting the bulk of the waste with a coping saw.

Finally, I pared my way down to the knife mark on both sides with a chisel creating a peak in the middle. Then, slowly removing the peak until the slot sides were flat.
This worked very well, though it took forever to do, partly because I was careful not to saw close to the line when I cut the centers of the slots out, but also because I think the Guitar Gods wanted to test my patience. The temptation to take big chuck out were enormous and I constantly had to remind myself to proceed with care and only shave small slivers away at the time.

There are still a bit unevenness left on the slot walls from the paring but I think, and hope, they will disappear once the thing gets sanded.

DRILLING HEAD SLOT HOLES

HEAD SLOT HOLES

CUTTING HEAD SLOT WASTE

PARING HEAD SLOT SIDES 01

PARING HEAD SLOT SIDES 02


FINISHED HEAD SLOTS

No comments: