Wednesday, March 07, 2007

CARVING THE HEEL


PART 2.


It's been a while since my last post. I've been busy getting my wood storage organized as well as other things. It is slowly getting there. I also build a rack for our garden tools as well as a place to hang my bandsaw blades.

WOOD STORAGE


BINDING STORAGE


Yesterday I started to cut the primary bevel of the heel. William Cumpiano states that on classicals this is best done with a skew knife in order to accommodate for the integrated heel block. As I didn't have a skew knife I proceeded to carve with my chisels instead, and the heel block did in fact get in the way a little. However, since the bevels on my chisels are honed to a 30º angle it wasn't to bad. Next time I might try and get hold of that knife though.

A bit like when I cut the slopes of the side of the heel, I started the cut with the back of the chisel down. About an inch or so into the cut I flipped it over and continued with with the belly down. This seemed to work fine, however, as the cutting progressed it got harder and harder to turn the corner in one pass as Cumpiano suggest. The chisel kept digging in the wide side of the turn and I had to take it in small passes to get it somewhat smooth. As usual the second operation went easier than the first. Tonight I will continue with the secondary facets.

CUTTING PRIMARY BEVEL

CUTTING PRIMARY BEVEL

CUTTING PRIMARY BEVEL

PRIMARY BEVEL FINISHED

No comments: